Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Into History? Check out all of Savannah's Historical Monuments

African American Monument
Find this marble & bronze monument to the African American contributions to Savannah in Rousakis Waterfront Plaza, on scenic Riverstreet. A timeless quote from Maya Angelou is featured on the base of this monument. This quote stirred up quite a bit of controversy in Savannah at the time the monument was erected. It offended many. You can read for yourself when you visit the monument. 

Anchor Monument
Over the centuries, Savannah and Chatham County's men have answered the call to serve in war. The Anchor Monument at the intersection of Abercorn & Riverstreet celebrates the lives of all those who served as seaman in defense of our colony and later our country.

Armillary Sphere
The sundial was once thought to be able to track that days and hours by marking the shadow of the sun as it progressed throughout the day. The Armillary Sphere is located in Troupe Square on Habersham Street. The Sphere is a must see, breathtaking and beautiful. 

Bacon Light Range
Emmet Park sits atop the Savannah River and is where the Beacon Light Range was built in 1858. These lights guided ships safely in the late 1800's and early 1900's as they traveled up the dark waters at night on approach to Savannah.

Big Duke Bell
The Big Duke Alarm Bell is a memorial to firefighters everywhere. This bell originally was a warning to Savannah residents of a fire in the 1800's.

Button Gwinett Monument
Button Gwinnett was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence from Georgia. His burial site and monument are located in Savannah's Colonial Park Cemetery.

Chatham Artillery
A monument that takes design inspiration from the 101st Airborne Memorial in Arlington National Cemetery was erected in 1986 by the Chatham Artillery. It features a bronze eagle and is in Emmett Park near Bay & Price Streets.

City Exchange Bell
The oldest bell in the state of Georgia hung in the City Exchange Building in downtown Savannah a far back as 1802. This bell still exists today and hangs in a smaller replica of the old bell tower just in front of the City Exchange.

Colonel William Bull Sundial
Col. William Bull made great contributions to the founding of Savannah and to the city's layout. He was a trusted officer under Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe. In 1933, a Sundial monument dedicated to Bull was set in Johnson Square (the city's first square).

Columbia Square Fountain
The beautiful four foot cast iron fountain that sits in the center of Columbia Square was donated by Eudora Derenne in 1971. It's a scenic spot many tourists love to visit for a photo with family and friends. 

Confederate Monument
One lone soldier has stood atop the Confederate Monument at the center of Forsyth Park since 1879 to represent the many thousands who died in the American Civil War.

Confederate Busts
Bronze Busts of famous Confederate War Generals Francis Stebbins Bartow and LaFayette McLaws sit at the north and south side of the Confederate Monument in Forsyth Park. These busts originally were located in Chippewa Square but were moved more than 100 years ago to their present location.

Cotton Exchange Fountain
Cotton was once King of the South and the Cotton Exchange was a thriving, bustling site of commerce. In 1889, the Cotton Exchange Fountain designed with as a winged lion was placed on Bay Street.

Georgia Spanish American War Veterans Memorial
A number of Georgia men participated in the Spanish American War. A monument commemorating their distinctive contribution was built in 1931 and sits at the south side of Forsyth Park at the intersection of Bull Street and Park Avenue.

Gordon Monument
At the center of Wright Square is a monument to William Washington Gordon and the first railroad in Georgia.

Greene Monument
Johnson Square was the original square in Savannah. It's also the site of a monument to the 2nd in command to General George Washington during the Revolutionary War. Nathaniel Greene fought numerous battles in the southern colonies and has been dubbed "The Savior of the South."

Irish Monument
Irish immigrants played an important role and made many contributions to the history of Savannah. This heritage was formalized in 1983 when a Celtic cross was set in Emmett Park.

Jasper Monument
In 1888 this monument was established to celebrate Sergeant William Jasper, who heroically gave his life in 1779 defending America against the British. At fifteen feet tall, it's one of the larger Revolutionary War Monuments in Savannah. It's located at the center of Madison Square.

John Wesley Monument
The founder of the Methodist denomination was John Wesley, who visited Savannah in 1736. He lived on the periphery of Reynolds Square, the site of the monument dedicated in 1969 to his honor.

Marine Corps Monument
At its dedication in 1947, the Marines Monument was to commemorate the USMC soldiers killed in World War II. Since that time, names have been added to honor Marines from Savannah who died in the Korea and Vietnam conflicts.

Morovian Marker
Morovians were part of Savannah from 1735-1740 and they ventured to the colony to form a mission with the native Indian population. They fled the colony after War with Spain broke out but their contributions are timeless. A marker was dedicated in Oglethorpe Square in 1933.

Nathanial Greene Monument
Nathanial Greene's remains are interred under the statue located in Johnson Square (1829). A quote by Nathanial Greene "I am determined to defend my rights and maintain my freedom or sell my life in the attempt." Nathanial Greene was a true southern hero.

Oglethorpe Monument The man most responsible for Savannah is General James Edward Oglethorpe and in 1910 a monument was unveiled in Chippewa Square showing our founder in a heroic pose in full military dress.

Olympics Torch
The Olympic Flame burned in Savannah for two weeks in the summer of 1996. While Atlanta was the host city for the Summer Olympics that year, Savannah was the host site for the Yachting Completion. At the time, it was the first instance of the flame burning in two venues at once. The Olympic Torch Monument sits in Morrell Park on River Street and was dedicated just after the Olympics ended.

Police Officers Monument
The Savannah Police Department Headquarters sits on the corner of Oglethorpe and Habersham Streets. In the median of Oglethorpe Ave. sits a monument to fallen police officers who gave their lives in the line of duty.

Pulaski Monument
Count Casimir Pulaski was a lover and defender of liberty. The Lithuanian born military leader gave his life in 1779 during the Siege of Savannah. A 55 ft. tall Italian marble monument featuring Pulaski is located at the center of Madison Square. A intricate restoration project of the monument was completed in 2001.

Salzburger Monument
The Salzburgers were one of the early immigrant group to arrive in the Colony of Georgia. Less than a year after the founding of Savannah, the Salzburgers arrived although they eventually settled prenatally in Ebenezer, GA. From their group and descendants would arise the first Governor of Georgia after the United States won its independence. The Salzburger Monument was a gift from Austria in 1996 and its located along Bay Street.

Semiquincentenary Fountain
Savannah was founded in 1733 and on the 250th Celebration in 1983, the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America donated a three-tiered, verde antique, cast iron fountain to the city. It was placed in the center of Layfayette Square.

St. Andrews Monument
In the median of Oglethorpe Avenue at Bull Street sits a small monument to celebrates the Scottish forbears of the St. Andrews Society chapter in Savannah. It is one of the many Savannah monuments to celebrate various immigrant ethnic groups that made Savannah so vibrant.

Washington Guns
Two Cannons that General George Washington captured from the British in the Battle of Yorktown are on display on Bay Street. America's Revolutionary War Hero and first President, George Washington presented these as a gift to the Chatham Artillery militia company of Savannah in 1791.


Waving Girl Monument
For nearly fifty years, a woman would come to the banks of the Savannah River to waive at the sailors arriving on ships in Savannah. That woman was Florence Margaret Martus and she's immortalized in a bronze statue along the Savannah River (on River Street).

No comments:

Post a Comment